Report: Steelers’ Le’Veon Bell expected to miss Week 1

Le'Veon-Bell

Star running back Le'Veon Bell. (Keith Srakocic/AP)

Pittsburgh Steelers star running back Le’Veon Bell is expected to miss Week 1 due to his continued holdout, according to ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler.

The Steelers placed the franchise tag on Bell this off-season, but the running back has yet to sign the $14.5-million tender and it could be a while before he ends his holdout.

Bell’s agent, Adisa Bakari, said on ESPN’s NFL Live Wednesday that his client is “going to do the things necessary to protect his value long-term.” In a separate appearance on SiriusXM NFL Radio, Bakari said he and Bell want to know what Pittsburgh’s plans are for the running back in regards to workload.

As it becomes more likely Bell will miss the Steelers’ season opener against the Cleveland Browns, Bell’s teammates appear to be losing patience. Offensive linemen Ramon Foster and Maurkice Pouncey both weighed in on their teammate’s continued holdout.

Second-year back James Conner is expected to fill in should Bell in fact miss Week 1.

The contract bar for a running back was set earlier this off-season when Los Angeles Rams star Todd Gurley signed a four-year, $57-million deal with $45 million guaranteed. Presumably, Bell will be looking for more.

Bell, 26, has been a workhorse for the Steelers over the last two seasons and led the league in both rushes (321) and total touches (406) in 2017. Drafted 48th overall in 2013, Bell is a two-time first-team All-Pro and three-time Pro Bowler who has racked up nearly 8,000 yards from scrimmage and 42 total touchdowns in 62 career games.

[relatedlinks]

Sportsnet.ca no longer supports comments.